This project is read-only.

How do you use your book collection?

Jul 23, 2008 at 6:19 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2008 at 6:23 PM
So,  the main purpose of BookShelf is to create an easily maintainable and accessable database of all the books you own.  We are planning on having it do other things as well, like tracking which books you want to buy, which books you have read, etc. 

For me,  I have problems with the following things:

• I buy the same book multiple times. (Usually paperbacks)
  • I don't buy a book that is on sale, or bargain priced, because I think I already own it.
  • I loan a book to someone, and can't remember who has it.
  • I don't now which books by which authors I still want/need.
  • I buy a book and realize I have already read it (and didn't like it that much).
An online database of my books, coupled with a wishlist and a reading list, that is accessable by mobile phone (iPhone if my T-Mobile contract ever expires) would make my book buying life a ton easier.  So, what other capabilities should BookShelf have?

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:36 PM
I already keep a wishlist of books on Amazon.  Can our wishlist feature either display or sync our wishlist with Amazon's using ECS?
Jul 27, 2008 at 8:48 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2008 at 8:49 PM
Delicious Library will already do all of this and more.  That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it (it could be entertaining/instructional), but you should be aware that there's already software available to do this.  As a customer of theirs, I can tell it works flawlessly.
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:23 AM
"At this point, usually the only people who aren’t buying are the ones who don’t own Macs. To them, we say: we’re sorry. For the rest of you... enjoy."

Alas,  I don't have a Mac, yet.  If I did, or if Delicious Library was either open source or available for Windows, it would be just about perfect.  And it's from a Seattle company, which I love to support.  :)

I did a bunch of research before I decided to start BookShelf, but I could not find an app that did exactly what I wanted.  Delicious Library is very, very close.  And one more reason to finally breakdown and buy a MacBook.
Sep 3, 2008 at 3:12 PM
I am not sure how I missed this, but check out Shelfari